Tuesday 18 December 2018

MasterChef Australia’s Ben Ungermann on becoming an ‘ice-cream king’ and his love for Indian food

MasterChef Australia, MasterChef Australia Ben Ungermann, Ben Ungermann


His ice-creams are packed with flavours, are light on the palate, and leaves a nice lingering taste. The finalist of the ninth season of MasterChef Australia, Ben Ungermann, had never made ice-cream in his life before entering the show. He now has a gourmet ice-cream parlour in his hometown Ipswich, Australia which he launched with his brother Danny in January.
The 34-year-old model-turned-celebrity chef, who was in Delhi recently as part of a world tour, displayed some kitchen theatre for an Indian audience. At an event organised by Johnnie Walker, Ungermann not only curated a drinks-led menu paired with select appetisers, but also showed us how to make a Toasted Coconut & Johnnie Walker Black Label Raisin Ice-Cream.
Here are excerpts from an interview with the rising culinary star:

We know your love for Indian cuisine. But you never whipped up something Indian in the MasterChef kitchen. Why is that?

I actually love Indian food, and probably the reason you haven’t seen me make too much of it is because I have real respect for it. I want to put something out there which I have mastered. The one thing that I understand about Indian cuisine is that it’s actually one of the most difficult cuisines – there’s so much flavour involved and there are so many layers to it. I would be very disappointed in myself if I try to pass off something as Indian. I have started experimenting a lot behind closed doors, and only when I have mastered it, it will come out.

No comments:

Post a Comment